Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Skirt Project, part 2

Part 2: The Supplies Are In
(or at least most of them)

So what do we have here??  Oh, where to start??!?!?!


First we have these lovely brass buttons, I mentioned them in part 1.  They are from the Post Office Department, which would become the United States Postal Service in 1971.  They look bigger than they are, you can get a bit of perspective in the first picture.  One of them is missing here, it's little ring on the back is pretty bent and it wouldn't stand up for my shot.


Since we are talking about buttons - here are the French Post Office buttons, I mentioned these before as well.  These ones are a bit bigger than the POD buttons and seem a bit less worn.  Not that either is a bad thing, just an observation.


On to the ribbons!!!  This is some pretty basic ribbon.  Probably made of nylon, the colors fit the idea and it was inexpensive so I bought a couple of yards.


Here is the fancy ribbon.  This one cost a few pennies more (sarcasm, it was a lot more), but it is beautiful.  I got this off an etsy seller based out of the UK.  <3  So perfect for the project.



Last, but certainly not least, are the bias tapes and piping.  When I was searching I found 10 mm wide airmail bias tape a couple of times, but I was looking for something wider, something that would make more of a statement on my hem line, then I found a seller, I think they are in Singapore - they were selling bias tapes in two widths, 10 and 15 mm AAAAAND they had airmail piping!!!  I haven't quite decided what to do with the 10 mm bias tape, but given the cost of shipping, I didn't want to buy the other two and then later on wish I had bought the 10 mm, so I bought all three.  The piping will be the trim around at least one of my pockets, to make it look like an airmail envelope.



Well, that's all I have to share for today, hopefully I will soon have some time to start taking measurements, experimenting with the fabric and generally working towards having this project completed by the end of Sept.  Can I do it??  By golly, I hope so!

Until next time, thank you for reading my blog. :)







1 comment:

  1. I forgot that you were making a skirt but I quickly remembered! All these pieces are cute! The buttons remind me of medals and the red, white and blue ribbon would make a great fit for them to go around a neck or make lapel pins....not trying to spring more projects on you though. Excellent items. I'm getting excited!

    ReplyDelete